Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Winter Weekend



Heading back from our afternoon walk and we caught the last rays of daylight just before the sun dipped behind the hills.


Another perfect weekend here in the Hunter Valley. For the first weekend in ages we didn't have any specific plans. It was  actually lovely to take life at a much slower pace for a change. I rode my horses, we caught up with friends and took the dogs for a long afternoon walk. Total rest and relaxation!
It also meant that I had time to potter in the kitchen. I had  Moroccan Lamb Shanks simmering away on the stove for most of Saturday afternoon. So delicious and so easy. I've put the recipe below.
I also made a batch of Paris Butter. Have you tried it? It's similar to a herb butter but with a few extra ingredients. Well worth the effort I must say. Once you made it you can keep it in the freezer for a few weeks.  A small knob on top of a beautifully cook steak is just out of this world. Also great to add to a bowl of steamed vegetables or boiled potatoes. Plain food is my nemesis...I know adding butter to steamed vegetables is counter productive but  you really just need a tiny bit....or so I keep telling myself!

Speaking of food! I'm looking forward to this upcoming weekend. We have the "Taste of Wollombi" food & wine festival happening on Sunday. It will show case all of the wonderful food and wine producers in our little valley. It's an easy drive from Sydney or Newcastle so it's a perfect day out. Hopefully this stunning winter weather will continue and it will be a big day for the local community. I've added the link below if you need a bit more information. Hope you are all having a great week so far.



Moroccan Lamb Shanks




1 tablespoon of olive oil
4 Lamb shanks
1 large leek, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1L Chicken stock** 
600g  sweet potato (kumera) peeled, coarsely chopped
1 x 400g can chick peas, rinsed, drained
12 dried apricots roughly chopped
Fresh coriander to serve.
** I didn't have liquid stock so I used stock powder with boiling water and it was perfectly fine.

Here's how it's done.

Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish (one with a lid) over medium heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook for a few minutes. Turn them a few times so they are brown all over. You don't want to actually "cook" then just brown them. Once they are brown transfer them to a plate.

Add the onion, carrot and garlic to the dish and stir until combined. Add the cumin, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon. Stir together for about 30 seconds. Add a small amount of stock to the pan and stir to release any of the browned lamb that may have caught on the bottom of the dish. Add the remaining stock. Return the lamb shanks to the pan. Put the lid on and cook over a very low heat for about 1 1/2 hours. The pan should be only just simmering. If the liquid is evaporating during this time add some boiling water.

Finally add the sweet potatoes, chick peas and dried apricots. Turn the heat up to medium and cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and rest for 10 minutes.

Serve the lamb shanks on a bed of couscous with some of the delicious sauce and sprinkled with coriander. Enjoy!

Note: I've cooked a few variation of this dish. It's also great with lentils and prunes. Just depends what I have in the cupboard. I also great served with brown rice.

 
 

 


 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment